YORK FACTORY EXPRESS, BLOGPOST:
Once they made #Edmonton House #AB, the York Factory Express men (who travelled with the #Saskatchewan Brigades) must mounted horses and made their way to the Athabasca River, via the Athabasca Portage to Fort Assiniboine. Here is Edward Ermatinger's story: #Blogpost #History http://nancymargueriteanderson.com/athabasca-portage/
Missing Woman in Big River First Nation, Saskatchewan - Zelda Dawn Bill - #BigRiverFirstNation #Saskatchewan
Opinion: Cost of new Saskatoon arena district could fall on taxpayers
We have plenty of corporations in Western Canada and #Saskatchewan, such as Nutrien, making billions. They can contribute money to the arena, for a tax write off, that is supposed to be for increased business in the city anyways. Taxpayers are fed up subsidizing businesses.
Premier Scott Moe and his crack team of government lawyers and script writers showed up in court with a show about nothing.
1) force striking SGEU workers back to work (1986) setting up the concept of 'essential services', ie everyone up to and including the people who work at the doughnut/coffee shop in the hospital, of not having collective bargaining rights that extend to the right to a strike -- since the government can just up and order you back to work
2) to basically steal money from the public to fund the catholic school board (this turned out to be legal and they didn't need to actually use the notwithstanding clause to do it). Also probably similar deal for the muslims/protestants
3) to force teachers to use ONLY state-approved pronouns and nicknames for children
#Saskatchewan every time I check the prices of flights there I am astounded. So can someone kick Scott Moe in the shins for me? 🙂
> When I was talking with makowski he said he had no idea that 1 in 5 kids live in poverty in the province. The minister of social services!! Had!! No!! Idea!! https://twitter.com/kalemaclellan/status/1707605817216663565
This guy doesn't even have an excuse of being new on the job due to a recent cabinet shuffle...he's been at it for...awhile now
This is disgraceful incompetence #saskatchewan
YORK FACTORY EXPRESS BLOGPOST:
#Edmonton House was built in 1795 on the North bank of the North #Saskatchewan River, but it moved many times as the local fire-wood supplies were used up. Here are some fun stories to tell of old Edmonton House, where John Rowand ruled like a king for many years. #Alberta #History http://nancymargueriteanderson.com/edmonton-house/
Public Advisory / Person Of Interest - Family / Grandparent Emergency Scam - #Saskatchewan #Saskatoon
Scott Moe hasn’t even consulted. judge says there's no evidence he has. #Saskatchewan
☑️ Alberta Premier Danielle Smith
☑️ Saskatchewan Premier Scott Moe
☑️ Manitoba Premier Heather Stefanson
☑️ New Brunswick Premier Blaine Higgs
☑️ Nova Scotia Premier Tim Houston
You all understand that there’s a zero percent chance Trudeau actually has the balls to stop #Saskatchewan, right?
Because if he did he’d have to justify why he allows #Quebec to commit on-going cultural genocide without intervention.
The courts and the ballot box are the only salvation here.
NDP questions appointment of former Premier Grant Devine to USask Board of Governors
“Devine’s confidants, close friends and senior staff diverted taxpayer dollars into numbered accounts and stole more than $800,000 from the people of Saskatchewan. Over a dozen Devine insiders were criminally charged.”
Missing Teen in Prince Albert, Saskatchewan - Leo Daniels, 15 - #PrinceAlbert #Saskatchewan
Imagine being so insecure that you recall a legislature, cause a constitutional crisis, and risk international condemnation from the U.N, because you don’t like pronouns? #Saskatchewan
“Thousands of new orange and black ‘Every Child Matters’ hockey sticks are on shelves of sporting goods stores across #Canada.
They are meant to do more than just send pucks into nets.
Earlier Thursday, Justice Michael Megaw issued his 56-page ruling...: "I determine the protection of these youth surpasses that interest expressed by the government, pending a full and complete hearing."
The Premier- concerned more with implementing his faulty policy than with protecting children, or legal due diligence, or Canadian Human Rights- says he will use the notwithstanding clause to override the judge. i.e. fascism.
Happy to see a judge put a pause on the anti-trans government in Saskatchewan. "A Regina judge has ruled that the Saskatchewan government's naming and pronoun policy should be paused for the time being..." #cdnpoli #Saskatchewan https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/judge-grants-injunction-school-pronoun-policy-1.6981406
Beaverton: Scott Moe: If Saskatchewan children wanted rights, they should’ve voted for someone else https://www.thebeaverton.com/2023/09/scott-moe-if-saskatchewan-children-wanted-rights-they-shouldve-voted-for-someone-else/ #satire #canada #commentary #Saskatchewan #FeaturedPost #transrights #LGBTQIA2S+ #children #ScottMoe
Missing Boy in Regina, Saskatchewan - Angel THOMPSON, 14 - #Regina #Saskatchewan
The time to test disallowance and reservation powers to strike down unconscionable legislation that invokes the notwithstanding clause is long past, but it’s coming around again full circle if #Saskatchewan decides to use section 33 to entrench it’s legislative transphobia.
The argument that the powers are null and void with time doesn’t hunt, especially given that they were explicitly included in the Constitution at repatriation to counter the notwithstanding clause.
🏳️⚧️ Judge grants Injunction to halt #Saskatchewan’s Pronoun Policy
Today I saw a billboard advertising how great it is to travel to North Dakota. I laughed really, really hard.
But yeah, I guess there really aren't many places that North Dakota can advertise itself as a warm tourist destination, and #Saskatchewan is one of those places.
How the ‘parental rights’ movement gave rise to the 1 Million March 4 Children
An important history to know about in these times
Missing Vulnerable Man in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan - Michael Poorman, 63 - #Saskatchewan #Saskatoon
See also addendum 9
Saskatchewan judge to hear school pronoun policy injunction application
* lawyers for UR Pride, org. representing LGBTQ people in Regina, to argue in favor of injunction
* lawyers f. Egale Canada & McCarthy Tetrault LLP say policy violates 2 sections of Charter incl. equality rights & right to security of person
[thread] Manitoba, politics
Big Money & Manitoba Election: Dark money set ssights on Manitoba
* Canada Growth Council: https://www.canadagrowthcouncil.org
* registered 3rd party advertiser tied to Alberta & Saskatchewan conservatives, oil lobbyists, & obscure religious sect known as Plymouth Brethren: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plymouth_Brethren
The rights of children.
“When we remove the ability of educators to exercise good judgment, all we’re left with is less good judgment, and significantly increased risks of harm for at least some children. People need to think this through and see it for what it is.”
#Saskatchewan’s Children’s Advocate said the new rules surrounding the use of preferred pronouns and first names in schools violate provincial human rights laws and #Canada ‘s Charter of Rights and Freedoms. | Globalnews.ca https://globalnews.ca/news/9964944/saskatchewan-childrens-advocate-says-new-names-and-pronouns-school-policy-violates-human-rights/
Saskatchewan Child Advocate: Pronoun policy could run contrary to human rights laws, needs changes
* Sask. Child Advocate says prov. gov.'s new policy regarding use of different pronouns in schools could violate human rights
* policy req. students <16 y.o. to seek parental consent before changing pronouns or preferred first names
NO ONE claiming this: classic wedge tactic/attack
Next they'll push "litter box" anti-LGBTQ+ conspiracy theory 🤨 🤬
Litter boxes in schools hoax: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Litter_boxes_in_schools_hoax
Furry fandom: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furry_fandom
Saskatchewan school: not letting students identify as furries
https://persagen.com >> "wedge tactics" OR "wedge strategy"
My fellow Saskatchewanians.... Saskatchewanites? Pre-Albertans.
They're running off the RSS feeds for the source, and are automatically CW-ed for death, violence or sexual assault. Enjoy!
To Get Kids Interested in Science, We Have to Let Them Do Science - Scientific American
“By getting kids hooked on science now, we not only shape the future of research—we help more people see themselves as scientists and start them on paths toward careers in the exciting world of fundamental research.”
#Canada #Science #Scicomm #Education
Saskatchewan premier Scott Moe ready to use notwithstanding clause to protect new school pronoun & name rule
Clause would allow provincial government to pass laws that override certain Charter rights for up to 5 years
Notwithstanding clause: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_33_of_the_Canadian_Charter_of_Rights_and_Freedoms
https://persagen.com >> search: Scott Moe"
Premier Scott Moe of #Saskatchewan in a stunning abuse of power considers invoking the Notwithstanding clause to bully #LGBTQ children with new education policies. Wonder where he learned that one from? (Doug Ford) #skpoli
Christian group infl. Saskatchewan gov. over pronoun rules
* Tanya Gaw, founder of Christian organization Action4Canada
* influenced Saskatchewan Party to adopt pronoun, sex ed policies
* urged bans on Planned Parenthood & sexual health resource SOGI123
https://persagen.com >> search: action4canada
action4canada AND "freedom convoy"
What a sharp decline in male life expectancy in Western #Canada.
In the early 1990s, boys born in these provinces could expect to live longer than in any other part of the country. Today, life expectancy in all three is below the national average.
In Saskatchewan, male life expectancy is now *four years* less than in #Quebec.
Community response to broadly unpopular, politician-fabricated culture war issues
100s rally in Regina against new pronoun/name policy in Saskatchewan schools
Critics say policy will harm trans, two-spirit, non-binary youth
* 100s outside Saskatchewan Legislative Building
* protesting Sask. policy requiring parental consent when children <16 want diff. names/pronouns at school
Legal action filed against Sask. government over new school pronoun rules
Parental consent needed wh. student <16 wants different names/pronouns at school
* community org. representing LGBTQ people in Regina filed legal action vs. Saskatchewan gov. over pronoun policy
* UR Pride Centre for Sexuality & Gender Diversity requested judge to strike down changes
Sask. trans students outed to peers by tech company error 🤨
Edsby apologizes for error that affected students in 8 school divisions 👎️
* educational technology company HQ Toronto
* developer, publisher of web-based K-12 learning management system
Addendae 2 cont'd 2/
Saskatchewan school boards request pause on 'sudden' pronoun policy change
* Sask.'s education minister Dustin Duncan announced policy changes req. students <16 to seek parental consent to change preferred names, pronouns at school
* Sask. Advocate for Children & Youth announced immediate review
* said potential impact "deeply troubling"
Saskatchewan says parental consent needed for name, pronoun change of students
* Saskatchewan education minister Dustin Duncan says teachers must start seeking parental consent when children under 16 want to change their names or pronouns
* harmful to LGBTQ students
* mirrors recent populist, neoconservative actions in N.B.
Dustin Duncan: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dustin_Duncan
As a Reproductive Scientist who has done outreach in schools in the past and teaches undergrads #ReproSci, I just have to shake my head at governments, particularly Conservative, who just want to hide #SexEd from students. By all means let them learn the torrent of disinformation instead of the facts, learn painfully about STDs or STIs, or keep their pronouns hidden. Parents can “opt out” of it all and keep youth in the dark ages. Pathetic #SaskGov.
Missing Vulnerable Woman in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan - Shelby Robillard, 26 - #Saskatchewan #Saskatoon
@rbreich #Canada anecdote-Fed Ex and Purolator in #Saskatchewan drop off packages at small town businesses for rural customers to pick up- there is no compensation to the local grocery store or insurance agency who hold, store and distribute the packages. Fed Ex and Purolator rely on these charitable contributions or the alternative is rural customers have no access to consumer products unless they drive 1+ hours to a city.