TGNC - Back To School
Here is a reminder for the Think Green Neighborhood that I'll be starting my sophomore year of college soon.
(And no, I am not leaving the internet. I just have a life outside the screen like all of the Think Green Neighborhood does.)
🚫 NOT CREATED WITH AI 🚫
🚫 DO NOT USE MY WORKS WITHOUT GIVING ME CREDIT 🚫
MADE AT THINK GREEN'S HOUSE IN THE THINK GREEN NEIGHBORHOOD
Wow, the new search function looks really promising.
Let's assume you like #cartoons, but you don't want to see posts (like this one) that only mention the word or hashtag, you want posts with attached images.
Here you go, this is your search term then:
Or, say, you like the artist Moebius:
My god, my hopium has paid off. Pantheon is the most underrated animated series of recent memory. It was screwed by streaming services and for a while it looked like S2 was never going to drop. If you like exploring transhumanism I highly recommend it.
#cyberpunk #cartoons #animation
Teen Titans is smarter and more mature than I was expecting. It has a nice blend of childish and mature ideas. It definitely plays up the Looney Tunes slapstick antics sometimes but it doesn't get bogged down in silliness, it moves on to something that the characters need to take seriously. Just overall a very enjoyable watch #cartoons #animation
xkcd 2830: Haunted House
Title text: You can leave at any time through the door over there. It's a Louisville door, so you'll need to find a compatible knob. No, don't be silly, that one is a Lexington knob! Of course it won't fit
With our ASL Opera project picking up steam, I was curious to know just how the “High Art” of Opera has influenced mainstream American culture over the last 50 years or so, and I was surprised to learn, via ChatGPT-4 AI, just how deeply many of the most famous Opera melodies made their way into our shared childhoods and our culturally maintained totems of relevance!
As a young child growing up in the barren Midwest, I was delighted to appear in several Operas: Albert Herring, and Carmen and Così fan tutte and in that memory of my childhood, I recall several unifications of comedy and sublimity engaging in cartoons and classic Opera arias! I get the reason why: Opera music is free to use, it is out of Copyright protection, and the music, and melodies, are universal in exchange, creating the perfect storm between interpretation, and performance!
You wouldn’t naturally think that Opera and children’s cartoons go together, and that they can influence one another, can coconspire in the same mindspace and playspace, but that’s exactly the beauty of this sort of majestic Art — where one thing becomes another, and everything, in its essence, belongs to another. We are each other. We become our enemies. Our enemies befriend us because life is a swirl of experience, and emotion, and we are never, ever, just one thing or only one life.
So, here we go in our Operatic analysis! Here are some of the stories you already know as popular musicals are based on Operas, including Rent (based on La Bohéme), Moulin Rouge! (La Traviata), and Aida (Aida). Many Operas are also based on classic plays. If you like Shakespeare’s The Merry Wives Of Windsor (or the Public Theater’s 2021 production of Merry Wives) check out Verdi’s Falstaff. If Greek tragedy is more your speed, give Medea a go.
Hey, sure, many classic Operas have also inspired adaptations in other forms of media. Here are more examples:
1. “Miss Saigon” – This musical is based on Puccini’s “Madame Butterfly”, but moves the action to 1970s Vietnam during the final days of the Vietnam War.
2. “Aida” – The Elton John and Tim Rice musical is based on Verdi’s Opera of the same name, although the story and characters are significantly different.
1. “Moonstruck” – This 1987 film starring Cher and Nicolas Cage is not based on an Opera but has strong thematic links to Puccini’s “La Bohème” and especially “Tosca.”
2. “Carmen: A Hip Hopera” – This 2001 film is a contemporary adaptation of Bizet’s “Carmen”, starring Beyoncé in the title role.
3. “Madame Butterfly” – Several film adaptations have been made of this Puccini Opera, including a 1995 version directed by Frédéric Mitterrand.
1. “The Simpsons” – The episode “The Homer of Seville” has Homer discovering a talent for Opera singing, with plot elements borrowed from several classic Operas.
2. “Hey Arnold!” – The episode “Eugene, Eugene!” is based on the Opera “Eugene Onegin” by Tchaikovsky.
3. “Looney Tunes” – The classic cartoon has several episodes that are inspired by or parody Opera, such as “What’s Opera, Doc?” (inspired by Wagner’s “Ring Cycle”) and “The Rabbit of Seville” (based on Rossini’s “The Barber of Seville”).
Films which are screen adaptations of Operas, examples include:
- Don Giovanni, directed by Joseph Losey
- The Magic Flute, directed by Ingmar Bergman
- La traviata, directed by Franco Zeffirelli
- Giuseppe Verdi’s Rigoletto Story
- Carmen, directed by Francesco Rosi
- Porgy and Bess, directed by Otto Preminger
- La Bohème, directed by Luigi Comencini
- Otello, directed by Franco Zeffirelli.
Don’t leave out Children’s Television! Here are some classical Opera pieces that were used in Bugs Bunny cartoons:
- “Barber of Seville Overture” by Rossini: Featured in “The Rabbit of Seville” (1950) where Bugs assumes the title role and humiliates Elmer Fudd.
- “Ride of the Valkyries” by Wagner: Although I was unable to find the specific episode, it was mentioned that this piece was used in a Bugs Bunny cartoon.
- “Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2” by Liszt: Featured in “Rhapsody Rabbit” (1946).
- “Tales from the Vienna Woods, Op. 325” by Johann Strauss II: Featured in “A Corny Concerto” (1943) where Bugs is chased by Porky Pig and his dog to the music.
- “The Blue Danube” by Johann Strauss II: Also used in “A Corny Concerto” (1943), this time as a bird-song based cover while Daffy Duck paddles over with his off-key honking.
- “Minute Waltz in D-Flat” by Chopin: Featured in “Hyde and Hare” (1955) where Bugs plays the piano in Dr. Jekyll’s house.
- “Morning, Noon, and Night in Vienna” by von Suppé: Featured in “Baton Bunny” (1959) where Bugs conducts the piece.
- “Beethoven’s 7th” by Beethoven: Featured in “A Ham in a Role” (1949) where a snippet from the symphony is played during a ghost scene in Hamlet.
- “Träumerei” by Schumann: Featured in “Hare Ribbin’” (1944) where a segment of Schumann’s theme plays while Bugs’ latest tormentor mistakes him for dead.
- “Largo al Factotum” from “The Barber of Seville” by Rossini: Featured in “The Long-Haired Hare” (1949) where Bugs declares war after his musical instruments are destroyed by an Opera star.
- “Hungarian Dances” by Brahms: Featured in “Pigs in a Polka” (1943) where the “Three Little Pigs” fable is set to highlights from these dances.
- “William Tell Overture” by Rossini: Featured in “Bugs Bunny Rides Again” (1948) where the tune is used during a horseback chase sequence featuring Yosemite Sam.
Opera, and classical music arias, have played a major role in shaping common American mainstream culture. We must embrace this fading, Operatic, High Art, and allow it to seep back into the sleeping bones of our eternal youth!Share this:
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to email a link to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Mastodon (Opens in new window)
xkcd 2829 Iceberg Efficiency
Title text: Our experimental aerogel iceberg with helium pockets manages true 100% efficiency, barely touching the water, and it can even lift off of the surface and fly to more efficiently pursue fleeing hubristic liners
To anyone nostalgic over old TV or old livestreaming culture I highly recommend Toonami Aftermath. Other than trying to recreate that vibe of watching Toonami circa 2001, It also does Saturday morning cartoons and random 90s-00s anime. Feels just like watching anime streams via mpc and talking on IRC circa 2005.
#nostalgia #tv #anime #90s #2000s #toonami #cartoons
What’s worse than Burning Man? A burning planet | @FionaKatauskas https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/picture/2023/sep/09/whats-worse-than-burning-man-a-burning-planet #cartoons #climate
Finished season 2 of Hilda and the movie today. It was good, I liked the origin story of Trolberg and the trolls. I wish they got deeper into the relationship and conflict between Hilda and her mum, that was the main point of tension in the series and it never really got treated properly. I do feel that there could be another season's worth of material to get into but I'm happy enough with the story as is. #cartoons #animation
Vibing with my King of Clubs this morning. Endless photo taking for the upcoming Kickstarter launch of 2 decks in 2 sizes with 2 box options because why makes things easy, Sara, why.
One thing I'm not a big fan of in the #Hilda cartoon is the lack of development among the main characters. Hilda gets grounded for sneaking out but continues to do so without remorse. Frida kind of loses her way for a few episodes but then returns to her original fastidious character. David experiences life without fear but goes back to being a coward without really learning anything. It would have been nice to see how the characters' experiences change them over time. #animation #cartoons
I'm gonna redo my intro since people are giving a list of tags they're interested in and I shoulda but didn't.
I am the Battle Masker, or just Masker. Don't call me BM.
Finished the final part (part 5) of Disenchantment today and it was so beautiful. What a ride. What a SHOW. I consider it a modern animated masterpiece. No spoilers here, of course. But if you like fantasy or medieval type stuff, FUNNY stuff, cartoons (like Simpsons or Futurama for those who haven't seen it) - I HIGHLY recommend this show. Big comfort show for me. 😍
hihi! new #introduction because my instance moved once more :neofox_heart:
Animator Joe Murray ( creator of Rocko’s Modern Life) has a link to where you can get a free PDF of his out of Print book - Creating Animated Cartoons with Character.
Second hand copies of the book are being sold at huge prices, and he is not in favour.
He asks that if you can afford it, maybe pay it forward ( contributions to food banks, volunteering, etc.)
Back in the 2000s I was a cartoonist for the Dutch NRC.next newspaper and the NU.nl news site.
I made these two cartoons in 2007, when George W. Bush was still the US president. 16 years and many presidents around the world later, the environment status has only worsened.
if your favorite sailor was...
mercury: you either have your life together, or you're on your 7th burnout
venus: you now run a makeup youtube channel called "#GIRLBOSS"
mars: you can kill a man with heels
jupiter: you are a literal pro athlete
moon: you have a family
chibimoon: you are a furry
uranus: only you know
neptune: you love women!
saturn: you are a cryptid living in the forest and/or strung out on drugs or in recovery. you still have an html webpage.
pluto: you're in charge.
stars: you are still cool.
other senshi: you create & sell your own cosplay costumes as a business and/or you are a pro cosplayer.
anyway, i hope this made someone chuckle moderately! i am merely a high girl on the 'net. and as you can imagine, my favorite sailor was saturn. and yes, i do fit the description, so there ya go. party on, sailor moon fans!
New Screen Rant article on the latest new Futurama episode being a direct sequel to an episode from 22 years ago (and also a Dune parody).
I haven't written much about them on my own cartoon blog, but the new Futurama episodes are great and I love em, of course. Super funny spots. A lot of that old feel. It weirds me out that friggin DISNEY was technically what brought it back and that Disney owns Simpsons now, too. Sigh.
I guess I can't complain. 🤣
Mutant Mayhem was adorable. Really fun romp. Probably the best way they could modernize the origin story for the turtles.
As someone who grew up with the ORIGINAL comics, this was a really sweet version to share with my daughter.
xkcd 2814 Perseids pronunciation
Title text: When speaking out loud, you can can [sic] call it the 'Perseids meatier shower' and no one will ever know. (If you do get caught somehow, just tell them to Google the 'Kentucky meat shower' and that will distract them while you escape.)
One of the weirdest things about not being on Twitter anymore is that I miss important cartoon news, like from SDCC last month (and it especially sucks because I write a cartoon blog). New Simpsons season starts October 1, and the poster for this year's Treehouse of Horror XXXIV (which will air later that month) is rad, as always. 🎃
Writing a new post for my cartoon blog to feature a few posts from this other blog that did a lot of great posts about old animation. But as I was writing and doing my research, I realized the posts for this other blog stopped in 2017 (after being active since 2009). Such a shame. It's always sad to see cool blogs disappear.
Recently Milo from DESCENDENTS was in the hospital after a heart attack (he's out now) and drummer Bill stayed with him. Big fan and artist Cory Toomey captured it and it's a treasure. Here's to Milo's continued improved health!
hihi! new #introduction because the instance i'm on has moved/rebranded :neofox_heart:
i'm a #ChronicallyIll, #bipolar, #enby who lives with their black cat and loves thinking too much about fiction
#horror #movies, storytelling and #VideoGames are my passion and i want to find #WritingCommunity
some media i love: #DoctorWho, #bloodborne, #celeste, #house, #ajj, #lost, #hannibal, most imaginative #indies, #digimon, #tmnt, #cartoons
The 5th and final part of Disenchantment airs on Netflix on September 1 and I am PSYCHED!! (If you haven't seen the show yet, there's time to catch up on the first four parts!)
Here's the new teaser trailer for part 5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9XrFzLYi-Y
The most frighting lab ‘hack’ I ever saw was someone super-glueing up a cracked chloroform bottle. The best is using a cut-up rubber glove as a hair tie. Anyone got any better ones (or worse ones)?
#cartoon #cartoons #comic #comics #instacomic #instacartoon
#academia #science #research